Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bip's Broiler

Fernside is known for quaint homes and tree lined streets, but not as a restaurant neighborhood on the island. One almost forgets about Bip's Boiler and the Encinal Market. Bip's and the market have been in business for quite a long time. The diner is a throw back to a bygone era, nothing fancy.


I ate there on a gray day hoping for comfort food in a hamburger and a chicken sandwich. Both plates were basic, no special sauces, there was nothing on the buns. I had to add ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard on both sandwiches. The food was palatable, but nothing spectacular. The chicken sandwich was healthy for me and I was appreciative of that factor. The french fries were decent, but the potato salad was a miss. The potato salad was boring after three bites.


Unfortunately, when I was chowing down on my sandwiches, it was cold sitting inside the diner. I had to keep my jacket on the entire time I was there. I also looked around the room and noticed the other two tables, everyone had their coats on.


I hate to think what will happen to Bip's once Pearl's Hamburgers opens in Alameda Towne Centre. I am certain Burgermeister has reduced business for them.

No comments: