Friday, July 29, 2011

Disconnect at Mama's Noodle House

I was riding my bicycle around town for a stroll and I decided to go to Mama's Noodle House on Webster Street.  I had been riding for over an hour and I was famished. I went to the front counter and asked the sales person to give me what his favorite dish was.  For $7.60 I purchased the #3, Shredded Chicken Noodle Soup with rice noodles. The reason why the counter person liked the #3 more so than the other dishes is because he didn't like eating bones in a soup. 

I waited for the food to come to my table.  When I sat down  the room was half full. Everyone inside the eating area was Chinese and speaking Cantonese, there was not a native English speaking person in the place with the exception of me.  When the soup arrived, the bowl was huge and it was a large portion of soup. After stirring the bowl a few times, there wasn't a lot of chicken.  The noodles were plentiful as well as the broth, but not the meat.  I would say there was less than a third of a cup of meat in the bowl. The broth was simple and clean.  The soup was mainly comprised of rice noodles.  What made the soup was the side dish of fresh ginger, cilantro and garlic.  The sauce gave the meat a boost.

I didn't drink all of the broth in the bowl, but I did eat all of the chicken and noodles.  When I finished my soup, my stomach was full, but my brain wasn't really satisfied with the food that I ate.  I don't know how to describe the feeling, but the food didn't insatiate my appetite.  I wanted more food in the soup bowl and didn't get it.  What I got was a bowlful of noodles and some chicken.

The next time I will try a rice plate instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting comment on the bones in the soup. When I went there to eat,I did see a few people spitting bones out of their mouths, which isn't really pleasant to watch.