Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hot Dawg for Hot Dogs

I can't resist eating hot dogs.  In the long run, consuming hot dogs over a lifetime, may not be healthy, but there is something magical about them.  A delicious hot dog will bring smiles.  That said, I finally went over to Doggy Style and had a hot dog.
The space was clean, neat and with a new coat of paint.  As I looked over the menu, my first gut reaction was that the menu was similar to a hot dog place in Hawaii. I was experiencing deja vu from an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The menu had a decent selection of Asian inspired hot dogs of nori, kim chi and banh mi.  The hot dog I really wanted was the chili cheese dog with grilled onions.  The hot dog came with raw onions and the cook wouldn't grill the onions.  Grilled onions is something they just won't do.  I then opted for the plain beef hot dog. 

I went for the plain hot dog because I wanted to be able to taste a delicious hot dog instead of consuming a large pile of condiments that is all fluff.  The hot dog came in a warm french roll and I only added mustard and ketchup.   The hot dog was tasty on its own.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I know the owners ate several dozens of varied hot dogs before they chose the dogs they are now selling.  They made a good choice.

I would definitely come back to have another hot dog.  I am not sure if I am adventurous enough to have the Dogzilla with bratwurst, asian slaw, wasabi mayo, teriyaki sauce and nori.

No comments: